We’ve all experienced loss. We all know what it’s like to grieve or to have a broken heart. In the midst of hurt and struggle, it can be difficult to see God’s purpose in it all. And while I don’t believe God ever causes heartbreak in our lives, I do believe that He never allows our suffering to go to waste. And He certainly promises to comfort us and give us His peace through the storms of life.
God works all things together for the good of those who love Him – even when we make mistakes that lead to heartache, even when others hurt us, even when we must endure the pain of living in a fallen world – He promises to be close to the brokenhearted. We can fully rely on Him as our Healer and Provider.
10 Bible Verses for the Brokenhearted
- …Weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning. – Psalm 30:5
- Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. – John 14:27
- The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. – Psalm 34:18
- For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, ““I dwell on a high and holy place, and also with the contrite and lowly of spirit in order to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.” – Isaiah 57:15
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. – Psalm 147:3
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. – Psalm 73:26
- “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30
- “You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.” – Matthew 5:4 (MSG)
- So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever. – 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (MSG)
- All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. – 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 (NLT)
*Unless otherwise indicated, scripture quotations taken from the NASB.