Do you ever find yourself afraid? Fear is a common problem for man – so much so that the phrase “do not fear” is mentioned hundreds of times throughout Scripture. Much of our lives, our world, and our culture are beyond our control or understanding. But if you consider yourself to be a child of God, then fear should be a thing of the past because we have a sovereign Father who holds the world in His hands.
Speaking from experience, learning how to trust God and not live in fear is a process – one that I personally have to work on daily. The good news is that we have God’s Word and His Holy Spirit to help us. When the enemy tries to distract us with fear, we have His solid truth to rely on.
10 Bible Verses for When You’re Afraid
- “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
- For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. – 2 Timothy 1:7
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.– Psalm 23:4
- When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? – Psalm 56:3-4
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. – Isaiah 43:1-3
- “Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation.” – Isaiah 12:2
- …Those who are righteous will be long remembered. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. – Psalm 112:6-8 (NLT)
- “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone. You will trample upon lions and cobras; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet! The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.” – Psalm 91:9-16 (NLT)
*Unless otherwise indicated, scripture quotations taken from the NASB.